Print this Page


While there are several options to immigrate to Canada, we chose the most popular one ‘Federal Skilled Workers Program’ aka ‘FSW’.

Update: As of July 1st 2011, the cap has been reduced and the application forms have been revised. Please follow the below link to get up to date info on applying.

While there are more than a handful ways to immigrate to Canada, the Federal Skilled Worker Class is the most popular one.

There are 2 different streams under FSW.


The minimal requirement for FSW1 is that an applicant must satisfy all of the below requirements.

* Have one year of continuous full-time paid work experience in at least one of the occupations listed here. (If you are applying under one of the 29 eligible occupations, as of June 26, 2010, a maximum of 20,000 Federal Skilled Worker applications will be considered for processing in the following 12 months. Within the 20,000 cap, a maximum of 1,000 Federal Skilled Worker applications per eligible occupation will be considered for processing each year.)
* The above work experience must be for at least one year, continuous, and paid (full-time or the equivalent in part-time),
* The above work experience must be within the last 10 years preceding the date of application.

FSW2 :

The minimal requirements for FSW2 is that an applicant must have a valid offer of arranged employment

Here, there are two circumstances to have an arranged employment.

1. If you are currently working in Canada – your current employer must have made an offer to give you a permanent job if you are accepted as a federal skilled worker, and your temporary work permit must be valid both when you apply for a permanent resident visa and when the visa is issued. In addition to that, your work permit must have been confirmed by Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC) through a positive labour market opinion or you must be in a category that is exempt from an Arranged Employment Opinion.
2. If you are not currently working in Canada/ you do have a work permit but do not satisfy the requirements in ‘a’ – your prospective employer has made an offer to hire you on an indeterminate basis if you are accepted as a federal skilled worker, and as obtained a positive Arranged Employment Opinion from HRSDC and you meet all required Canadian licensing or regulatory standards associated with the job.

If you satisfy the minimal requirements of FSW1 or FSW2, please note that your applications will be processed in accordance with 6 selection factors and the proof of funds for your initial settlement in Canada for you and your family.

The 6 selection factors are as below;

* your education
* your abilities in English and/or French, Canada’s two official languages
* your work experience
* your age
* whether you have arranged employment in Canada
* your adaptability

You may want to self-assess your eligibility using this tool and your points using this tool.

Permanent link to this article:

Points factor

A detailed look at the 6 selection factors and the points grid. Selection Factor Points Education Maximum 25 points Proficiency in English and/or French Maximum 24 points Experience Maximum 21 points Age Maximum 10 points Arranged employment in Canada Maximum 10 points Adaptability Maximum 10 points Total Maximum 100 points Pass mark Minimum 67 points …

View page »

How to apply?

Now that you know you are eligible to apply, let’s see how to apply. The stages of preparing your application: Gather the supporting documents Obtain the LATEST application package and guide Complete the application forms Sort the application package along with the supporting documents Proof read the application package and ensure there are no mistakes …

View page »

The Process

The processing is done @ 2 different places the CIO in Sydney, Nova Scotia and the Visa Offices. As a rule of thumb, one has to submit ALL the documents specified in the CIO checklist and the Visa Office checklist(these checklists include pretty much everything needed for a PR application to Canada), with the initial …

View page »

Contact CIC

Useful Contact details for Federal Skilled Workers applicants: How to Contact the Centralized Intake Office? If you are a Skilled Worker applicant and you have a request for case information you may contact the Client Service Unit of the Central Intake Office using this form. If you applied within the last six weeks, the CSU …

View page »

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge